Wednesday, November 01, 2006

October Books



I didn't read many books in October. No real reason just one of those months.

Son of A Witch by Gregory Maguire – I have to agree with Jenni not as good as Wicked. There were some sections that I think someone else wrote, they didn’t seem to flow as well with the rest of the book. It tells the story of Liir’s coming of age and determining who he realy is. It starts with Liir being found almost dead in coma, and then through flashbacks tells the story of how he became in the position.

The Birth House by Ami McKay – I loved this book, it was recommended to me in the summer by Megan, and I immediately requested it from the library – I was 48th on the list.
Dora Rare becomes a midwife under the tutelage of Miss B. during the Great War and has to struggle with the not so local doctor who doesn’t think anyone without an MD has the knowledge to help women during child birth. Women in the small town have to struggle to prevent being forced to travel long distance over treacherous roads to deliver their babies in the hospital under chloroform anesthesia. Dora has her own personal problems that extend beyond helping the women of her community. On the Birth House website you can take the quiz to find out if you suffer from hysteria or neurasthenia, there was another treatment besides a hysterectomy for this problem - which women understandably preferred.
I am looking forward to McKay's next book The Virgin Cure

Stashed with:

No comments: