Friday, October 06, 2006

Ein Prosit

As I live in Kitchener-Waterloo home of the largest Bavarian festival in North America - how could I not answer some of Lolly's Socktoberfest questions. Oktoberfest in KW started on Friday night with the tapping of the keg.

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I started knitting in October 2004, and cast on for my first pair of socks in February 2005. My friend Jenni helped me with my questions. I was sucked into this void of knitting socks from that time. Although I can never seem to knit them fast enough.


What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first pair were made from Patons Kroy Tutti Fruitti jacquard in a basic heel flap stockinette sock. They have held up over time. I made these socks before I knew that I twisted my stitches when knitting. Actually it was this project that I realized I did this.

What would you have done differently?
I don't' like long cuffs (due to my thick calves). So I would not have made the cuffs so long on these socks. I also realized I don't like jacquard patterns. I still wear these socks though.



What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Koigu, Lornas Laces - Although there is a lot of sock yarns that I would love to try that I haven't. I need to knit my socks faster.



Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
DPNs. I have a pair of socks that I am trying the 2 circs with and I don't' care for it. Although I am tempted to try 2 socks on 2 circs.



Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
Heel flap. I have made 2 pairs with shortrows and prefer the heel flap. I even make my toe up socks with heel flaps.



How many pairs have you made?
I have made 18 pairs of socks (including the pair that is 90% done), and have 4 pairs in my sock drawer. The rest have been given away as gifts.


Now I am going to Roll Out the Barrel although it is no Pumpkin Race, which is next weekend (in Nova Scotia).


Stashed with: ,

1 comment:

Wily Jeneric said...

See how I'm keeping my comments neatly separated?

Lovely to see the crazy hometown festivals. I expect pictures in the next post, 'kay? And next year, I think you and Ali should enter a barrel.