Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Knitters Fair

On Saturday I went to the Waterloo County Knitters Fair, well myself and 1800 other attendees at this one day event focused on knitting. It is different than a sheep and wool festival in 1) there is no animals 2) very little roving or fleeces for sale (I don't remember seeing any but I did see a couple of drop spindles) 3) the focus on knitting and not fibre.
It was great, I managed to purchase only a few items. One skein of Butterflyknits merino/tussah silk lace weight for a shawl.

The colourway is Luna, a subtle yellow/green with a hint of brown (the colours are more muted than my photo suggests). I was able to discuss with colours with Meghan, who dyed the yarn - all of the colourways are inspired and named after butterflies. I wish I had a pic to show you, but Butterflyknits made its debut at the show and almost sold out. Pick Up Sticks carries the yarn so check their site for options. I cast on for the shawl when I got home. Another purchase was a skein of Misti Alpaca laceweight for the Trellis Scarf. (Can you tell I like Evelyn Clark's designs) I picked up some Louet linen and a ball of merino sock weight yarn for yet to be determined projects.

The swallowtail shawl will be my first lace project. It is something that I am finding needs all of my attention and more stitch markers than I have been using. I have had problems with tinking back for a mistake, fixing the mistake but then realize I dropped a YO somewhere while tinking and struggling to find out where I missing a stitch. I am on the second repeat of the Budding Lace 2 chart. I decided to work on it for an hour before the Knitters Guild meeting and I don't think I made any forward progress and left later that I was planning to for the Guild meeting

Some other long awaited photos

Finished RPM socks

Pattern: RPM socks by Aija Goto
Needles: 2 mm dpns
Yarn: Patons Kroy Socks in Winter Eclipse
Mods: Changed the second socks spiral to go in the opposite direction
Aija gives directions for both heel flap and short row, I started with the short row and didn't like so back to the trusty heel flap.




Sockotta Ribbed
These socks just look funny, the ribbing on the top of the sock, (a slightly modified 3x3) pulls in a lot, so the top just looks skinny compared to the foot, even though there is the same number of stitches. When I started looking at sock patterns I never liked this look. I still don't but I figured with yarn that has just as much cotton as wool it is useful to keep the sock up. In this pattern I also added some ribbing down the side of the foot to ensure a tight fit. The pattern is toe up with a heel flap from Sensational Knitted Socks.


Stay tuned for adventures at my first guild meeting

Stashed with: , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Wily Jeneric said...

Is it me or has the look of your blog changed a little? I would like to see an image of a house stuffed with wool or made from wool.... ;)

Some nice fos, there. Good luck with the shawl. I should have warned you about the number of stitch markers they require... I prefer to use the smallest ones that will slide along the needle. I tend to fling the larger ones off the needle. But then, I am klutzy these days.