Saturday, February 24, 2007

Felted Clogs - Again

Well this time they are not for me but for MV.


Yarn: Briggs & Little Regal Midnight Blue (2 skeins), Blue BW(1 skein)
Needles: 9mm
Pattern: Fibertrends Felted Clogs
Notes: I added the bumper this time and did the higher cuff.
I don't really have anything else to say. This is the third time that I knit this pattern, however it is the first time that I have used this yarn.

I started this post at the end of January. I thought I would be able to have finished clogs to show you before now. However they took forever to felt. I lost track of the number of trips through the washing machine. I had heard (when I was 3/4 done) that Briggs & Little can be difficult due to the lanolin content. Well I wans't quite prepared for the number of trips. I know I washed it 3 times in cold, then soaked in dish detergent (this hopefully got rid of the lanolin), after this there were 6-7 trips through the washing machine (3 of these were with hot water). If I wasn't going to use hot water for the cycle I soaked the clogs in hot water before hand. The clogs also got sent into the dryer twice for felting. I recently heard about this technique, putting a soaking wet item into the dryer. The first trip through the dryer I noticed a difference in size. I am not sure that the slippers felted far enough though so I may have to knit another pair using my standby of Patons Classic Merino.
I thought I had taken a photos of the finished clogs but it appears that I haven't.

No comments: