Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Tale of Two Hats

or Part 3 in my series of trying to catch up on my current knitting.

I had two balls of Lana Gatto Baby Soft in my stash that were just begging to be knit up. This is soft yarn and these were colours were muted. The first ball was chosen as a hat for Ali.
This is a simple 1x1 ribbed hat, it took me three attempts to get cast on number/needle size correct for his hat. As I was knitting along and deciding on how I was going to do the decreases, I remembered a series by TechKnitter on how to get a flat top in a hat instead of a pointed top. I thought that would be the best for this basic hat.
I used her instructions for the decreases just modifying the first decrease to accommodate my use of 1x1 rib instead of 2x2 rib that she uses. I liked the final result.

Yarn:Lana Gatto Baby Soft
Needles: 4.5 mm
Pattern: TechKnitting's method of decreases in the 8 trick pocket hat


Next up a hat for me
Back in September I discussed making a hat for myself and even purchased yarn to make myself a hat (and one for NB). As I started thinking about using that yarn for Foliage, and the changes I should do to account for the gauge difference. I remembered the second ball of the Baby Soft. It would work beautifully for Foliage.
I added an extra 1/2 repeat and ribbed till I ran out of yarn (4 rnds)

Yarn:Lana Gatto Baby Soft
Needles: 4.5 mm
Pattern: Foliage by Emilee Mooney

No comments: