Monday, June 04, 2007

Shadow Challenge

Last time I discussed the challenge the guild set (back in October) using one ball of yarn and Jenni wanted to know what had happened about the challenge she set for me. I had been thinking about this post even before she mentioned it.

At the April guild meeting I asked the librarians (I love the fact the guild has a librarian) if they had a book on Shadow Knitting. They didn't but another member suggested Vivian Hoxbro's Shadow Knitting, the guild kindly ordered it for me. I missed the May meeting so I was not able to pick it up until after Victoria Day. Since then I have been reading and swatching.

My first thoughts on the scarf was to knit it lengthwise so it would have long vertical stripes. Here is a swatch for that scarf with scrap yarn that I had.


Okay - that was a straight on photo - now lets look at it from the side


Note: This was unblocked on an uneven surface - I was having trouble getting a good photo but you get the point ( I hope)

I thought the motif had become too square and that you couldn't see how long the hounds are in flight. When I was taking this photo though I thought it looked better than when I had finished knitting it on the weekend).

I purchased some yarn - since these items are going for a silent auction - I wanted some neutral colour that could appeal to a wide range of people - also I needed something light and dark. I found this yarn at Knitwerx in St. Jacobs.

I am knitting this so the stripes run horizontally along the scarf. This really elongates the dog, and I am beginning to think that I won't have to repeat the two motifs that I have ( I might fill in some space at the back with something small (I'll have to wait and do some more measurements and counting).

I am toying with doing the second motif in the opposing colours so the dog will be black on the tan surface. The second motif is wider which is why the border seems so big around this dog.
I am enjoying shadow knitting - as long as you have markers the knitting goes quickly. With shadow knitting all of the pattern work is done on the wrong side rows so it can be difficult to read your knitting.

I think the scarf will need some sort of edging to help prevent it from rolling. It needs to be a simple edging for two reasons - not to take away from the magic of shadow knitting and the scarf is already quite wide.

Thanks to Anonymous for the ID of Star of Bethlehem. That is what this flower is - I thought the common name might have Star in it.

1 comment:

Wily Jeneric said...

Yes, Star of Bethlehem. If I'd thought for a moment, I might have come up with that. Ahem. More importantly, I love what you're doing with the shadow knitting. It's unexpected and whimsical while still being funtional. Kudos to you for picking up the gauntlet I lobbed across the border. Time to put on my thinking cap and see how else I can stretch your knitting prowress.